Your child’s early years
Early learning and development are foundations for your child to grow into a confident, independent and healthy adult. Your child can learn and master important life skills including:
- Daily routines such as mealtime and family outings
- Playing, moving and exploring
- Using language and listening
- Social skills such as sharing and joining in
Your personal support person will meet with you and your child in your home, your closest Vision Australia office or wherever you feel most comfortable.
Getting your child ready for school
Your child can enjoy a smooth and successful transition to school with our help. Together we can:
- Ensure teachers and other important people in their lives understand your child’s vision and needs, and how to tailor activities to be inclusive
- Teach your child skills so they’re ready to learn in a new environment
- Help your child understand what to expect, how to join in and give them skills to find their way around
- Source the right equipment to help your child learn and teach them how to use it
- Develop your child’s physical capabilities
Your child’s primary school years
Children develop academically, socially and emotionally during their school years. You and your family will have our support so your child is engaged and continues to thrive.
Support ranges from advice on lighting and desk setup to different formats for educational materials and technology to enable reading, writing and other tasks. Your child can access activities and sports clubs, make friends and learn ways to talk about their vision and advocate for themselves.
Last year Vision Australia spent over 25,000 hours supporting children in their primary school years.
As your child heads into adolescence in their secondary school years, Vision Australia will be there to support decisions on subject selection, career aspirations and extra-curricular activities as well as to help build their confidence so they can advocate for themselves.
Moving into adulthood
This is a big step for anyone. As a young adult making decisions about your life, Vision Australia will work directly with you so you can:
- Make the most of your choice of university, job, gap year or trade
- Source financial support for the right equipment to make your tertiary studies a success
- Learn the life skills you need to run your own home
- Form friendships and relationships
- Get involved in tailored or mainstream recreational activities
- Access information on how to advocate for yourself and influence change in the community
- Secure work experience or volunteering opportunities
- Explore your community and the world beyond
Contact us early and get the support you need. For more information on Vision Australia’s services call our helpline on 1300 84 74 66 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with our services here.